Treating Cat & Dog Allergies IN NORTH HOLLYWOOD, CA
Skin conditions vary and can result from many different environmental factors. Many of the same environmental allergens in North Hollywood that cause us to sneeze affect our pets in the form of dry, irritated, and itchy skin. Diagnosing cat & dog allergies can be challenging, but our team has the tools needed to find the root of the problem and treat it accordingly. Call us today at (818) 980-1313.
What Could Cause the Itch
Allergies are the main cause of itchy skin, but they’re not the only cause. Pet dermatology problems can stem from parasites, disease, and even stress. Common reasons for itchy skin include:
- Parasites such as mites, ringworm, or fleas (to which some pets are also allergic)
- Dry skin caused by a dry climate or nutritional inadequacies
- Pain in a certain area could warrant a lot of scratching, licking or biting at the area
- Autoimmune disorders such as Canine Lupus or Feline Immunodeficiency Virus
- Anxiety, boredom, or a compulsive disorder
- Allergies which could include:
- Food allergies
- Pollens, molds, and plants
- Certain materials such as cotton or rubber
- Dust mites
- Cleaning products
"...let us help your pet feel comfortable in their own skin again."
Diagnosing and Treating Pet Dermatology Problems
Diagnosing your pet’s skin condition often requires advanced lab equipment and thorough physical exams. Diagnostic tests we run include:
- Cytology and skin scrapings to check the skin for any fungal, bacterial, parasitic, or allergic abnormalities
- Blood tests in-house to screen for an autoimmune disorder
- Allergy testing, which requires either a blood sample sent to an outside lab or an allergy kit we can send you so you can do it at home
Recurring skin conditions also carry the risk of secondary infections. That’s why addressing your pet’s skin condition is only half the battle. Once we pinpoint the issue, we can develop a treatment plan that will clear up their symptoms and keep them from coming back. Treatments could include:
(an injection that stimulates the body's own defenses to counteract the allergen)
- Apoquel (an allergy tablet)
- Hypoallergenic diets to treat food allergies
- Medication shampoos
- Topical treatments
For relief from cat & dog allergies or other dermatology problems, call us at (818) 980-1313 and let us help your pet feel comfortable in their own skin again.
After searching and searching I found a veterinarian office I really like. Everyone is down to earth and polite at this office.
- Anthony G.
Muy buen hospital a tienden muy bien a mi bebé chico
- Tereza G.
My dogs are always taken good care of at Blue Cross Pet!!
- Tracy F.
The vets here are loving and caring for your pets.
- Laura M.
The staff and Dr. Lowenthal are the best. I have brought all my pets here and will do so for generations more.