"Find out the regulations for traveling with
your pet."

health certificate for dogs in north hollywood, ca

International Health Certificate for Dogs and Cats

If you’re planning on traveling with your pet over international borders or state lines, you’ll need the proper documentation. An international health certificate for dogs and cats, or Certificate of Veterinary Inspection, is an official document stating that your pet is in good health and is free of contagious diseases and parasites. A health certificate must be issued by a USDA-accredited veterinarian. At Blue Cross Pet Hospital, our vets are accredited, and we have dedicated staff who keep up to date on the latest changes in regulations. Give us a call at (818) 980-1313 today!

The Difference Between Domestic and International Travel

When planning your next vacation, it’s up to you to find out the regulations for traveling with your pet to your destination. All health certificates for domestic and international travel need to be issued by a USDA-accredited veterinarian, but beyond that, there are some differences between staying in and going out of the country.

Domestic Travel

Legally, any travel between states whether by land or air requires a certificate issued by an accredited veterinarian. Yet, unless you’re traveling to Hawaii, you don’t need your certificate to be endorsed by the USDA. Travel to Hawaii has a lot of exceptions. They do require a USDA endorsement, a quarantine for pets, and have other very specific regulations, so do your homework! It's also important to contact the airline to find out their requirements, too.

Keep in mind that health certificates are usually valid for 10 days if flying and for 30 days if traveling by land.

International Travel

Going out of the country with your pet requires you to do research on your destination country and their specific requirements. It is also your responsibility to provide us with all the appropriate paperwork and a checklist of requirements for your veterinarian. Once we complete all the necessary exams, tests, and paperwork, you may need to send the completed forms to the USDA Veterinary Services office for their official endorsement. All of this must be done within a certain time frame before your travel date, so keep that in mind as you schedule your appointment with us.

cat sitting in suitcase